Hobby Update - Trench Warfare

 I have been making some trench terrain. These could be used for all sorts of games, especially weird WW1 games like A War Transformed or The Last War. They could also see service in Stargrave or 40k.

I got inspired be the terrain Ash Barker was using in his last war games. Rather than making trench boards he had a series or square hills made to look like the edges of trenches. This makes the amount of terrain you need to build much less.

Here are some of the first generation pieces, laid out to show the look of the trenches. Some BEF models for scale. These are scraps of polystyrene cut into squares and triangles and then covered in popsicle sticks and match sticks. You need a lot of sticks

A quick model's eye view down a trench
I made Private Frazier a dug out with a roof of more sticks and matches.
I got inspired by Mel The Terrain Tutors Trench set. He moddeled craters into his pieces. I also built some pieces that slope down to no one's land. If you extend the bottom of the craters a bit you can create places where models can be placed.

I then expanded on the craters with some scuplta mold I got from Scott in Kapiti Hobbies I have also started added texture to the tops of the pieces.


I have also started adding colour to the pieces. This is a slurry made of tile grout with some acrylic paint. It goes on like texture paint and dries hard. All the bits will need another coat and some other colours to get the mud looking OK, then its on to painting the wood.

I have used by GW safety Barbed wire on the tops of a couple of pieces and I can use the other posts to make more wire fences.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargrave 40k - "we just got our asses kicked man"

Frostgrave - Second game

Hobby update, Sons of Death, Crusaders and Inquisition